Terms of Service
Terms of Service
The purpose of this website, https://socialmediamacroscope.org (“Site”) is to make social media data analytics, and visualization tools accessible to researchers and students of all levels of expertise. The Site and its content is made available by the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois (“University”, “we”, “our”, “us”), and the Site is owned by the University. The Site is created through use of the HUBzero virtual environment. You will be provided access to Site upon confirmation that You have read and accept these Terms of Service, the Privacy Notice (below), and the HUBzero terms of service (here), collectively (“Terms”). The Terms apply to You because You (“End User”) are using, installing, or otherwise accessing the Site. Please read these Terms carefully. The Terms govern Your use of the Site and any incorporated content (such as University or third party software, text, data, information, or graphics) made available through the Site (collectively “Analysis Tools”). By continuing to use this site, You accept these Terms. If You are not willing to be bound by these Terms, please stop using this Site.
- Permitted uses of Site: As End User You agree to use the Site only as provided herein, and Analysis Tools only as an integral component of the Site. You agree that You are only permitted to use the Site for academic, research and educational purposes only and shall not use the Site for commercial purpose. If you are interested in commercial use, please contact University by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As End User You agree not to reverse-compile, reverse-assemble, decompile, disassemble, decrypt, extract, or otherwise reverse-engineer or modify the Site. End User agrees to use Analysis Tools for the purpose and in accordance with the licensing rights provided therein.
- You hereby accept that all intellectual property, including copyrights, and other proprietary rights in or related to the Site are and will remain the exclusive property of University, whether or not specifically recognized or perfected under applicable law. As End User, You will not take any action that jeopardizes University’s proprietary rights. As End User, You acknowledge and agree that You acquire no right in the Site, except the limited use license specified in Section 1.
- YOU UNDERSTAND THAT UNIVERSITY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING THE ANALYSIS TOOLS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER INCORPORATED CONTENT, AND UNIVERSITY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. YOU HAVE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ADEQUATE PROTECTION AND BACKUP OF DATA AND/OR EQUIPMENT USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ANALYSIS TOOLS. UNIVERSITY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE SITE AND ANALYSIS TOOLS, IS FREE OF VIRUSES, WORMS, OR OTHER CODE OR FEATURES THAT MANIFEST CONTAMINATING, DESTRUCTIVE OR OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE PROPERTIES.
- You accept that under no circumstances will University or its affiliates, including its trustees, directors, officers, faculty, staff, students, employees, consultants and agents, or anyone on its behalf shall be responsible or liable to You or to any third party for any reason whatsoever including consequential, indirect, special, punitive or incidental damages or lost profits, damage to reputation, fee, expense, financial or non-financial whether foreseeable or unforeseeable, based on Your claims as End User or claims of any other party arising out of breach or failure of express or implied warranty, breach of contract, misrepresentation, negligence, strict liability in tort, failure of any remedy to achieve its essential purpose, or otherwise, notwithstanding the form in which any legal or equitable action may be brought, as result with the use of the Site, product or service.
- You hereby irrevocably release University and its affiliates from any liability of any kind and in no event will University be liable for damages or losses that exceed, in the aggregate, the amount of fees paid by You as End User for the products that gave rise to such damages or losses for each respective breach or series of related breaches.
- You expressly agree that the Terms, including without limitation, disclaimers above and resolution of disputes thereof are governed by the laws of the State of Illinois. The laws of the State of Illinois, U.S.A., shall apply to all uses of the Site. You agree that use shall conform to all applicable laws and regulations and shall not violate the rights of any third parties.
This Privacy Notice sets forth how Your information is collected, used, transferred, and stored through the Site that was created at the University of Illinois. It is also subject to the University of Illinois web privacy notice here () which among others contains sections: Rules for Individuals under Thirteen Years of Age, Disclaimer of Warranties and Accuracy of Data, Legal Notices of Terms and Conditions and the Supplemental Notice. The Supplemental Notice applies generally to the provision of personal information by individuals in the European Economic Area. The Supplemental Notice explains how the University meets its obligations under the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), and Your rights under GDPR. The Supplemental Notice can be found at here. The Site may utilize HUBzero mechanism for authentication, as described below.
- What information may the Site collect from You?
- Personal Information. Depending on the authentication mechanism used, the Site may collect certain personal information from You to provide access to the Analysis Tools. “Personal Information” for purposes of this Privacy Notice means information that can be used to identify, contact,or locate an individual, such as, Your name, address, phone number, or email address. If you are authenticating through CI Login (3rd party software that provides an integrated open source identity and access management platform), the Site does not collect Your Personal Information (however, you are still subject to CI Login’s privacy notice here (https://ca.cilogon.org/policy/privacy)). If you are using HUBzero credentials to login, Site collects your Personal Information. By creating an account through HUBzero, You are consenting to the collection and use of Your Personal Information by Site for the purposes stated herein, and You are subject to HUBzero’s privacy notice (here).
- Automatically Collected Non-Personal Information. Site, HUBzero, and CI Login may collect certain non-personal information automatically that may not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. The following are some examples of non-personal information that may be collected: Site usage, including frequency of access, duration and time of access, and other. By using the Site, You are consenting to the collection, use, and disclosure, of non-personal information by Site, HUBzero or CI Login.
- How is Your information used?
For HUBzero authentication, Your Personal Information is collected and used to authenticate You and provide You access to the Site. Personal Information may also be used to contact You to provide technical assistance or to inform You directly of any upcoming changes. Personal Information will also be used to seek feedback and input from You.
- Is Your personal information shared?
In case of HUBzero authentication, we may share Your Personal Information that You have provided to the University as authorized by law, order of governmental authority, or court order; when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect Your safety or the safety of others. We may also share Your Personal Information if permitted under University of Illinois policy, or authorized by an approved University of Illinois contract.
- How is Your personal information protected?
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us. No method of transmission, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. This information should not be construed in any way as giving business, legal, or other advice, or warranting as fail proof, the security of information provided via University supported web sites.
- How long is Your personal information stored?
We will retain Your Personal Information provided to the University in a University database for an indefinite period of time.
- Opt-out process
You may opt-out at any time from having Your Personal Information collected by the Site, by either authenticating through CI Login mechanism, or by not having access to the Site . If You would like us to immediately delete the Personal Information that You have provided via the Site, please send an email to on the Site and we will respond in a reasonable time.For GDPR concerns or opt-out requests, please view the Supplemental Notice. Please note that some or all of the user Personal Information may be required in order for the Site to function properly.