What master can I do with my Social Work degree?
In an ideal society, there should be no inequalities or integration problems. However, despite scientific and technological advances, there is no country that escapes the dangers of social exclusion. In other words, inequalities are a structural problem for the planet, whether due to economic, gender, ethnicity, health, etc. For this reason, the intervention of professionals who help promote the full integration of citizens is essential. This is precisely the work of social workers. Social workers are dedicated to advising public entities and companies on integration while articulating intervention and prevention programs.
Often, we tend to confuse social workers with social educators. Although both profiles work to reduce the impact of inequality, there is a fundamental difference: social workers have a more bureaucratic profile (for example, they can work as social workers), while educators have a more direct relationship with users. In fact, we can distinguish between Social Work and Social Education careers, both divided into four academic courses and 240 ECTS credits. Broadly speaking, the career of Social Work enables us to detect and prevent inequalities. On the other hand, it also serves to analyze if a person has special needs and of what type. But what to do once the race is over? For many students, the next step is to take a master's degree. Fortunately, today, the options in the field of social work are very varied. Here are some of them. Which one do you prefer?
Read more: "Why every student should know about https://meowessay.com/coursework-writing-service/?"
What master should I choose after the degree in Social Work?
- Attention to dependency. People with disabilities, like older people in situations of dependency, suffer a high risk of social exclusion. In this sense, it is convenient to apply policies that promote their integration and their quality of life. For example, job placement programs, access to personal assistants, adapted leisure spaces, etc. Master's degrees in dependency care are an ideal option to address all these issues, especially now that western societies are aging significantly.
- Gender equality. The prevention of sexist violence, as well as care for victims, is another of the core tasks of social assistance. For this reason, master's degrees in gender equality tend to have a high output among social workers.
- Mediation. The mediators are dedicated to addressing conflicts of different kinds, for example cases of bullying, separation of couples, etc. In the case of the social worker, mediation becomes relevant for one reason: the contrasts that can arise in an intercultural society with constant migrations. Precisely, one of the functions of the social worker is to reduce the impact of racism and inequalities on grounds of geographical origin.
- Directorate of Social Services Centers. If you are interested in exercising a more bureaucratic profile, you can consider running a social services center. To do this, you will need to obtain a place in the public sector.
- Social intervention. Social intervention includes working with various groups in situations of inequality: minors with broken families, immigrants, victims of violence, people in situations of dependency, etc. This type of master offers a global perspective of all the areas of work of a social worker.
- Social education. As we have already pointed out, social education and social work have many points in common. If you are interested in analyzing integration from the point of view of an educator, you can do it through a master's degree.
What work opportunities does a social worker have?
The labor exits once finished the race and completed the master are very varied. Although the field of social assistance is the best known option, it is not the only one, far from it. Below we list the ways by which you can access the labor market:
- Public social services system.
- Public health system.
- Justice sector.
- Housing sector.
- Private businesses.
- Non-governmental organizations.
- New fields of action: international cooperation and solidarity, mediation, etc.
And you? What master's degree did you complete after finishing Social Work? Share your experience with us in a comment!